Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ajoy Chakrabarty : Revisited

When I started writing this blog, my aim was to give my readers the 'play-or-download' option for every song that I post. I didn't want this blog to become an academic one, mere lengthy posts about the lives of artists and detailed descriptions of various ragas. So I set out to give you people some real 'juice' : actual music, painstakingly searched all around the web and posted here for your listening pleasure, and at will. Unfortunately and to my dismay, these links do not stay for long. Many of the music links in my older posts have gone dead, files removed from the servers for reasons unknown.



These songs by Pandit Ajoy Chakrabarty (not published commercially) were posted by me earlier too, but some readers have complained that they exist no more. Hence I am posting them again, hoping this time the links will stay. Ajoy Chakrabarty is very dear to us all, and I don't want you folks to miss out on these songs. This is classic material and deserves to be served to all. Included here is also a brief excerpt of an interview with the BBC host Mark Tully.

Ajoy Chakrabarty talks to Mark Tully :  (Download)








This concert was held in 1997 by the BBC to commemorate the 50th anniversary of India's independence from Britain. Ajoy Chakrabarty was joined in this performance by Samar Saha on tablas and Sanjoy Chakrabarty on harmonium. The recital consisted of two pieces. The first was a Thumri Kajri, and the second a full Khyal in Raga Hamsadhwani.

Thumri Kajri - Damini Damke :  (Download)








Raga Hamsadhwani :  (Download)








Comments are welcome.

Enjoy !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - an exquisite rendition

रवि रतलामी said...

This is chronic problem. For reasons unknown, links tends to get dead over time. However, if you do not encounter with copyright issues, you can re-upload music to Archive.org. Here, links remain forever active.

Post a Comment